When we first started Empress Cleaning Services, we researched the market for the best cleaning products and instead became alarmed by what we were reading about regular household cleaning products we all used and took for granted.
For instance, did you know:
- That there are 17,000 petrochemicals available for home use, only 30 percent of which have been tested for exposure to human health and the environment.
- That there are 63 synthetic chemical products found in the average North American home, translating to roughly 10 gallons of harmful chemicals.
- That the amount of indoor air pollution levels can be 100 times higher than outdoor air pollution levels.
- That there are 275 active ingredients in antimicrobials that are classified as pesticides because they are designed to kill microbes
- That 5 billion pounds of chemicals are used in the institutional cleaning industry each year.
- That a janitor uses 87 litres of chemicals each year, 25 percent of which are hazardous.
All of this adds up to the air quality in our homes being 5 to 10 times more toxic than the air outside, and typically contaminated by anywhere from 20 to 150 different pollutants. Much of this pollution comes from petrochemical cleaners.
Now that’s a lot of frightening numbers. So, armed with this information, we searched for a company and products that would not only improve the health of our customers, but also safeguard our employees as they cleaned homes.
We found Norwex, a company founded in Norway. They began with their Microfiber cloths that clean with water only.
Here’s what attracted our attention to Norwex:
- With Norwex Microfiber System, you will not breathe, touch or ingest chemicals – you simply create a cleaner, healthier indoor environment.
- Norwex Marine Organics and Naturally Timeless personal care products offer cutting-edge technology coupled with organic and natural ingredients – without harmful parabens or preservatives.
- The Norwex Cleaning System decreases cleaning time by 75% or more.
- An average household spends $600-$800 a year on chemical cleaning products and supplies. By using Norwex products you can realize up to a 90% savings!
When we feature a Norwex Product of the Month, we’re focusing on a product you can purchase, usually at a discount, that will help you keep your home chemical free between Empress Cleanings.